Mar 06, 2021  
2012-2013 Catalog & Student Handbook 
2012-2013 Catalog & Student Handbook [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Student Life

Student Activities

An important part of Midland College is its varied student activities program including student events, concerts, lectures, educational programs, intramural competition, and clubs. These activities serve as a source of enrichment to the regular classroom experience.

Events vary from year to year, there are fall mixers to welcome new students, after-game parties, bowling, casino night, dances, and noon-time entertainment. Student activity calendars listing various special and regular events are published each month. Most special events and programs are available at no cost to students. Students are also admitted to all athletic events and activities with a Midland College student ID. Contact a member of the Student Government Association or the Student Activities Coordinator at (432) 685-4543 for more information.

Student & Personal Announcements Guidelines

Midland College provides five bulletin boards on campus for personal announcements. Before posting announcements, they must be approved in the Student Activities Office. Announcements will remain active for 30 days and thereafter will be removed.

Student Government Association

The Student Government Association (SGA) is a college- sponsored organization that provides numerous leadership opportunities. The Midland College SGA participates in regional and statewide organizations. SGA members are the student voice to the college administration regarding policies of the college. The SGA officers and members are selected in campus-wide elections. This group is also responsible for the directing and planning of student-initiated social, educational and community service activities. In February, clubs and organizations sponsor Homecoming nominees. The student body elects the winners, and the Homecoming Queen and King are announced during halftime of the men’s basketball game.


Midland College currently has teams in six varsity sports: men’s golf, men’s and women’s basketball, women’s softball, men’s baseball and women’s volleyball. Midland College teams compete in the Western Junior College Athletic Conference which is comprised of ten schools in Texas and New Mexico. Midland College athletic teams have made outstanding showings on conference, regional and national levels.


Intramural sports offer the opportunity for students to participate in favorite sports during leisure time or in competitive tournaments. Intramural activities include flag football, basketball, volleyball, tennis, pool, golf, soccer, and ping-pong. Member schools of the National Intramural Recreational Sports Association hold annual tournaments. These activities afford our intramural athletes the opportunity to compete with other students from around the state. Students interested in intramural sports should contact the Intramural Director, at (432) 685-6467.


Chaparral spirit is exemplified by the Midland College cheerleaders. Cheerleaders receive stipends each semester. Tryouts are held in late spring.

Campus Clubs and Organizations

Midland College offers a variety of academic, social, religious, and political clubs each academic year. Please call (432) 685-4544, come by the Student Activities office or join us at Club Fair the second Wednesday of the semester for more information.

Honor Society

Phi Theta Kappa is a national scholastic fraternity. Students must qualify for membership. For further information call (432) 685-6830.

New Clubs and Organizations

Copies of policies and procedure for registration, general criteria, and meetings/programs/activities of student organizations can be obtained in the Student Activities Office in the Scharbauer Student Center or by contacting the Student Activities Office at (432) 685-4544.


Communication Department students publish The Chaparral, a campus life magazine, and El Paisano, a campus newspaper. The Tableau is an annual publication that promotes creative writing.

Motor Vehicles on Campus

These regulations are established by the college, pursuant to VATS, Education Code section 51.202, to facilitate the safe and orderly conduct of college business including parking. The college makes every effort to provide protection to vehicles parked on campus but cannot assume the responsibility for any loss. Operating a motor vehicle on the campus is a privilege and is conditional, in part, on complying with these rules and regulations.

General Regulations

  1. The person who registers a vehicle with the College obtains a non-transferable parking permit and is responsible for all parking violations.
  2. Pedestrians are given the right of way at all times.
  3. The maximum speed limit on campus streets is 25 miles per hour, unless otherwise posted. The parking lot speed limit is 10 miles per hour. The campus is defined as all lands owned by the College.
  4. The above regulations apply to all college faculty, staff, students and visitors.

Vehicle Registration

  1. In order to operate a vehicle on campus, students, staff, and faculty must obtain a vehicle registration permit at the Information desk located in the Scharbauer Student Center. Operation of a vehicle on campus without a permit is a violation of traffic and parking regulations.
  2. Students are required to register motor vehicles at the time of registration or when they begin driving on campus. There is no additional charge for the permit.
  3. Faculty and staff must register their vehicles on or before the day they begin driving a vehicle on campus.
  4. Any person giving false information regarding vehicle registration is subject to disciplinary action.
  5. Parking permits must be affixed to the inside of the windshield on the lower right side.
  6. State law requires that vehicles have Texas registration and Texas Vehicle Inspection Certificates if the owner of the vehicle resides in Texas.

Parking Information

  1. The College issues staff and student permits.
  2. Parking spaces for staff are designated by signs at the end of every row and by yellow striping on the pavement. Only employees and visitors are allowed to park in those areas. Special parking areas, such as handicapped and fire zones, are indicated by signs and/or red markings on the curb. Parking is not permitted next to any red-painted curb.
  3. The Administration parking lot (between Scharbauer Student Center and the Pevehouse Administration Building) is reserved for administration personnel and visitors, except during registration.
  4. Students working on campus will be assigned student permits and must park in student parking.
  5. Persons with physical handicaps who have been issued the state-authorized handicapped parking permits or license plates must obtain a college permit but may park in any handicapped parking area so long as the handicapped permit is displayed as required by state law.
  6. Parking permits will be issued to allow parking of motorcycles in designated two-wheel areas. Permits must be permanently attached to the fork on the front of the motorcycle.
  7. Replacement permits or additional permits are $1 each and are available at the information window in the Scharbauer Student Center.
  8. Parking violations must be paid at the Cashier’s Office; unpaid fines will result in transcript and registration holds.

Parking Fines and Penalties

  Unauthorized parking in handicapped space $50.00
  Blocking traffic way $15.00
  No permit $10.00
  Student parked in employee zone $10.00
  Parking where prohibited $15.00
  Expired permit $10.00
  Other $10.00

After a student receives five tickets in any semester, the next violation will include the installation of a “boot” on his/her vehicle to immobilize the vehicle. There will be a charge of $50, in addition to the parking fine, for removal of the “boot”. Every subsequent violation by that student will result in the “boot” being applied to his/her vehicle and an additional $50 charge.

Student Identification Cards

Students should obtain an identification (ID) card at the time of registration. The ID card entitles students to free admission to athletic events, student government entertainment, intramural activities, fine arts programs, dances, movies and videotape series. It provides identification in the Murray Fasken Learning Resource Center to enable the student to check out materials, to use computer labs and at the bookstore for scholarship identification. ID cards entitle the student to discounts at participating businesses. Lost ID cards may be replaced in the Student Services office for $1.


Midland College offers modern residence halls and family housing which provide an atmosphere for academic success and appropriate social activities, for full-time students (enrolled in 12 or more semester credit hours). Students living in MC housing are expected to behave responsibly, promote respect for the rights of others, follow all rules and regulations, support appropriate study opportunities, and enjoy a positive college experience. A full-time manager lives in each of the residence halls and a part-time units manager lives in family housing, providing supervision and direction for students. They are responsible for the daily operation of housing and individual assistance/referral for students for both academic and personal issues.

Residence Hall Reservations

Important New Immunization Requirements

In accordance with Texas Senate Bill 1107 (SB1107), beginning January 1, 2012 Midland College will require all new students under the age of 30 to provide certified proof from a health practitioner that they have received a valid bacterial meningitis vaccination or booster within the past 5 years. Students must submit their proof of vaccination or a booster at least 10 days prior to the first day of class for the intended term of enrollment.

Therefore, students that are new to Midland College and want to take advantage of living on campus are required to clear the MC Admissions process prior to applying for a residence hall or family unit. Students will be required to have their unique Midland College Student ID Number in order to apply for housing.

Once your MC Admissions process is complete and you have received your MC Student ID Number follow the steps below for reserving a room or a family unit:

  • Submit a completed application, $100 deposit and $20 non-refundable application fee. The application can be found at or the Student Life Office located in the Scharbauer Student Center, Room 122
  • Building and room assignments are made on a first-come, first-served basis after the application and deposit are received.
  • Roommates will be assigned by college personnel with consideration given to roommate requests
  • Room reservation deposits are refunded if written notice is received before the end of the semester which campus housing was applied. Check the catalog calendar for deadline dates.
  • After students move in, the reservation deposit becomes the property damage deposit.

Family Units Reservations

  • Submit a completed housing application and $20 non refundable application fee.  Any person residing with the student 18 years of age or older is required to pay a $20 non-refundable background check fee.
  • Once notified of an upcoming vacancy, applicants will be contacted and required to leave a $200 deposit to reserve the vacancy.  The deposit is non-refundable if student fails to move in at their specified time.
  • Once a student moves in the $200 deposit becomes a property deposit. Property deposits are refundable (minus damages and other college charges) if a thirty day written vacate notice is given.
  • Students living in family housing are expected to pay rental charges due on the 1st of each month. Failure to pay within 30 days will result in eviction.
  • All housing occupants are subject to the rules and regulation, policies, and procedures of the college.

Residence Hall Information

  • The residence halls will be available for move-in at 10:00 a.m. on the Saturday before the first day of class each semester and 12:00 p.m. the day before classes for each summer session. The official move-in day occurs when residents complete the appropriate paperwork for both Midland College Admissions and Housing. . In the fall and summer semester sessions, students must vacate residence halls within 24 hours of the last final. In the spring, halls will close on Saturday at noon following the last day of class. Residence halls will be closed during Christmas break.
  • Mail $100 room reservation deposit and $10 application fee with completed application to Midland College Student Housing 3600 N. Garfield, Midland, TX 79705.
  • Summer meal plans will vary.
  • Students living in family housing are expected to pay rental charges due on the 1st of each month. Failure to pay within 30 days will result in eviction.
  • Housing occupants are subject to the rules and regulation, policies and procedures of the college.

Room and Meal Charges

Hot and cold food and beverages may be obtained at the snack bar located in the Scharbauer Student Center, Café Pepe’ in the Marie Hall Academic Building or the Jack E. Brown Dining Hall. Breakfast and lunch are available to students, faculty, staff and visitors.

All students who reside in residence halls are required to pay for both room and meal charges. Applicable sales tax will be charged on the meal charges. Current sales tax rate is 8.25 percent and the current meal charges are $1,070.00 a semester. The current room rate is $1,100.00 a semester.

Students may pay tuition and fees and/or room and board on an installment basis. These require two separate plans. The student can execute an installment agreement on the Midland College website within their Campus Connect account. A $25.00 processing fee is charged for each plan. There are different payment plan options depending on the time that you register. Failure to pay the complete balance may result in denial of course credit for that semester.

Meal tickets for non-dorm students is $1,070.00 + state sales tax per semester.

Food Service during full length semesters will provide 19 Meals per week as follows

  • School days – 3 meals per day,
  • Weekends/holidays – 2 meals per day during posted Hours of operation.

Summer meal plans will vary.

Prices are subject to change due to fluctuating food costs.

Withdrawal from Residence Hall

The residence hall contract is an academic year agreement which expires at the end of the spring semester. Students moving out of the residence halls prior to the end of the spring semester will forfeit property damage deposits. For students completing contract term, room deposits, less any damages, will be returned at the end of the academic year.

Room and meal charges will be refunded for the fall and spring semesters as follows:

Official withdrawal prior to the first official move-in day* 100% 
Official withdrawal the first two weeks after official move-in week 75% 
Official withdrawal prior to the 6th week after official move-in week 50% 
Official withdrawal prior to the 11th week after official move-in week 25% 
Official withdrawal during or after the 11th class week 0% 

 Room and meal charges will be refunded for Summer as follows:

 Interim:   No refunds
 Summer I & II:    Refund of 50% during first week No refund after the first week No deposits will be returned if contract is not completed in full
 Summer Camps, Interns, Rentals:    No refund once check-in has started

Room and meal charges will be refunded for the fall and spring semesters as follows:

*Completion of any housing paperwork/or issuing of keys constitutes the first official move-in day.

Food Services

Hot and cold food and beverages may be obtained at the snack bar located in the Scharbauer Student Center, Cafe Pepe in the Marie Hall Academic Building or the Jack E. Brown Dining Hall. Breakfast and lunch are available to students, faculty, staff and visitors.

Student Health Information

Emergency Medical Care

Students in need of first aid should notify a Midland College employee. When a call for emergency medical care is in order, the responding unit will determine whether to treat a patient on the premises (at no charge) or to transport to the emergency room at the hospital ($275 for ambulance call).

Student Insurance

Brochures for medical insurance and personal property insurance in apartments or residence halls are available in the Student Life Office.

Chronic Communicable Disease (CCD)

Midland College places a high priority on the need to prevent the spread of chronic communicable diseases on its campus and is committed to educate its staff, students, and the community. Specifically, because there is currently no cure or vaccine for AIDS, education regarding methods by which this virus may be transmitted and how to prevent transmission is essential. A community resource is available for AIDS information referral and testing. There is no charge, and all information is confidential. Brochures and contact numbers are available through the Housing Department and Student Services.

When the risk of the transmission of CCD to others and/or the risk of further injury to the CCD victim is sufficiently remote, the student shall be allowed to continue attending college. The student’s medical condition shall only be disclosed to the extent necessary to minimize the health risks to the student and others. Midland College accepts responsibility to prevent the improper release of student information and shall release such information only in accordance with pertinent laws and regulations. Each case shall be handled on an individual basis. The disposition of an individual case by the College administration shall be determined only after proper input by the student’s physician and any other health professional who is deemed to be experienced in the treatment and diagnosis of a CCD. Persons deemed to have a “direct need to know” will be provided with the appropriate information; however, these persons shall not further disclose such information.

For information on bacterial meningitis immunization, please refer to


This school periodically applies pesticides. Information concerning these applications may be obtained from the Director of the Physical Plant, (432) 685-4569.

Health Risks of Alcohol and Drugs

Drug and alcohol misuse are complex behaviors with many determinants at both the cultural and individual level. Awareness of the effects of any drug/alcohol is imperative for an individual’s well-being or survival.

Alcohol acts as a depressant, affects mood, dulls the senses, and impairs coordination, reflexes, memory and judgement: seriously damages the liver, kidney, pancreas and brain and is the leading cause of death among individuals 15-24 years of age. Alcohol shortens the lifespan of heavy drinkers by approximately 10 years.

Prolonged use of marijuana leads to increased tolerance and severe psychological dependence. An immediate increase in heart and pulse rate may cause an acute panic anxiety reaction. Overdose may result in seizures, heartstop, coma, or death.

Opiates are highly addictive and may cause infections of the skin, liver, heart and lungs.

Tobacco causes shortness of breath, nagging cough and heart difficulties. Long term effects may be emphysema, bronchitis, heart disease and cancer. Tobacco is as addictive as heroin.

Services Available to the Campus Community

Midland College provides students, faculty and staff with a confidential source of help when dealing with drug or alcohol abuse or addiction problems. Information is available in the Human Resources Office and Student Services Office.

Midland College’s Student Services staff employs four Licensed Professional Counselors of which one is also a Licensed Chemical Dependency Counselor.

On campus Midland College has the Behavioral Health Center which avails affordable Counseling for substance abuse and related issues. It is a project of the college’s Alcohol and Drug Abuse Counseling Program (ADAC). The phone number for this program is (432)-686-4219.

The college also promotes activities and programs with student support to focus campus attention on problems of drug abuse and alcohol abuse and has two licensed chemical dependency counselors on staff.

Expectations of Student Performance

  1. Students are not to use, possess, sell or transfer any alcoholic beverage or any illegal, illicit, or designer drugs on campus or while engaged in any college instructional activity.
  2. Drug and/or alcohol testing can occur in “for cause” situations when academic or clinical performance, conduct, or other actions indicate possible alcohol or drug use. The student is responsible for the cost of the drug and/or alcohol testing.
  3. Students are required to participate in drug screening protocols established by clinical agencies utilized by the College.

Child Care

The Helen L. Greathouse Children’s Center

The center exists for two purposes: service and teacher training. The service function is met by providing a high quality child care program for children ages 4 months through five years. The center hours of operation are 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. This service function is also met by providing a model early childhood education program for the children, families, and early childhood professionals of the Midland community. The Children’s Center serves as a training site for students to practice teaching young children. The overall goal of the Children’s Center is to help the children develop the competence to function in a changing world. Those interested in enrolling children in the center should contact the Director of the Children’s Center for scheduling and fee information at (432) 685-4573.

Child Care Center at Manor Park, Inc.

Manor Park, a continuous-care retirement community for persons 62 years of age and older, is the site of a unique child care center operated by Midland College. Housed within Manor Park at 2208 North Loop 250, this center provides child care for Manor Park employees and community members and instructional support for child development, psychology, health science and other related courses. The center reflects the Manor Park philosophy which includes the presence of children within the senior adult community. Both Manor Park residents and the children benefit from the resulting social and cognitive interactions. For additional information, contact the program director at (432) 685-4573.


The college bookstore is operated for the convenience of students and faculty. Textbooks and classroom supplies are available on-site or online at:

New textbooks, in new condition, (i.e. no writing, highlighting or any damage which would prevent resale as a new book) as well as used books, may be returned for a full refund, with a receipt, through the 12th day of class of a regular semester, the first 3 class days of a summer session, or the first 2 class days of a flex-entry course. Textbooks purchased after the above dates may be returned for a full refund within 3 days of purchase.


EZ Rider Bus System

The campus is on Midland’s EZ Rider public transportation system’s route. The campus bus stop is on Chaparral Circle, just north of the bookstore. Citywide, buses operate from 6:15 a.m. to 7:10 p.m., Monday through Friday and 6:15 a.m. to 10:10 p.m. on Saturday. Buses stop on campus every 30 minutes, first traveling north and then returning south, and connect to other parts of the city. Maps are available in Student Services, and bus passes can be purchased from the cashier.