Apr 02, 2023  
2014-2015 Catalog & Student Handbook 
2014-2015 Catalog & Student Handbook [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Financial Aid & Scholarships

Financial aid assists students and their families pay for the costs associated with obtaining a college education.

In general, students are eligible for federal, state and institutional aid if they meet the following requirements:

  • Be enrolled for at least six (6) semester credit hours as a regular student in an eligible program. (less than half-time students may receive a Pell Grant if they are eligible);
  • Be a U.S. Citizen or eligible non-citizen. Undocumented students who meet the criteria for Texas residency under HB 1403 qualify for limited financial aid;
  • Have a high school diploma or a General Education Development (GED) Certificate;
  • Not be in default on any student loans or owe a refund to a federal aid program;
  • Make Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) in a declared course of study;
  • Not have been convicted of a felony or crime involving a controlled substance;
  • Registered with Selective Service if a male at least 18 years old; and
  • Not receiving federal financial aid from more than one school during the same semester

The U.S. Department of Education frequently changes regulations pertaining to financial aid and disbursement. Due to these changes, the Midland College Financial Aid Office reserves the right to make policy and procedure changes during and between award years. If you have any questions concerning the above information or financial aid, please consult with a financial aid representative.

No person shall be excluded from participation in, denied the benefits of, or be subject to discrimination under, any program or activity sponsored or conducted by Midland College, on any basis prohibited by applicable law, including, but not limited to race, color, age, marital status, national origin, religion, gender, disability, or status as a qualified disabled veteran or veteran of the Vietnam era.

The financial aid office is required to monitor transfer students between the fall and spring semesters. Transfer students must submit all required documents, whether or not financial aid was received at the institution. Once all the required documentation has been received, transfer students are placed on a transfer monitoring list for seven days before a financial aid award can be made. To avoid any delays please cancel any pending aid disbursements at your previous school to ensure an accurate award at Midland College.

Transient students-students who are enrolled in another college or university who attend Midland College for one semester, are not eligible for grants, loans, or work-study.

Adding courses after the census date will not change aid eligibility for the semester. Students must be enrolled in at least 6 hours to receive some types of financial aid.

Federal Aid Payments and Disbursement Policy

By accepting financial aid at Midland College, students agree to receive their funds according to the Midland College financial aid disbursement policy and to keep all receipts for charges and residuals. The Financial Aid Office does not have and/or provide copies of receipts that may be needed by students for tax or other purposes.

Periodically the Higher Education Act is reauthorized and changes are made to the regulations governing Title IV Federal Financial Aid such as the Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG) and Federal Direct Loan Programs. The new rules governing the administration of these programs went into effect with the Fall 2011 semester.

Federal regulations require that students withdrawing completely before the 60% point in the semester repay any unearned portion of Title IV aid that they received. Students may owe a portion of the unearned aid received to the school if it was used to pay for tuition, fees, books, room and board, or to the Department of Education, if it was disbursed to the students. Students owing a repayment will not be able to receive any additional federal funding without a repayment agreement and timely payment.

To remain in compliance, Midland College has made adjustments to its disbursement policy for the 2014-2015 award year in the following manner:

  1. Students are allowed to charge tuition, fees, books, room and board against any grant or scholarship received (as applicable) before any residual is paid.
  2. The official enrollment date is the census date (12th class day) for each 16 week semester.
  3. All financial aid awards are determine on the census date, and aid amounts are based on that enrollment status.
  4. No book vouchers of any kind will be issued after certain dates.
  5. Residual (remaining) balances from Title IV aid (Pell, SEOG, Direct Loans) will be issued as established in the disbursement policy. Residual balances will be applied to the student’s Chap Card or deposited directly to the student’s designated bank account.
  6. A disbursement policy/schedule which states all the book voucher and dates for the academic year will be mailed with the students award letter. Students with an extenuating circumstance can appeal the disbursement policy before the census date.

If paid for any prior semester, students will only receive funds for classes in which a grade of “C” or better was achieved.


Steps for Applying for Financial Aid

  1. Apply for admission (www.applytexas.org)
  2. Apply for a FAFSA Pin number (www.pin.ed.gov)
  3. Complete FAFSA (https://fafsa.ed.gov/)
  4. Apply for Midland College Scholarships
  5. Respond to document requests from Financial Aid
  6. Await award notification

Award Procedure

Federal grants and work-study positions are awarded on a first-come, first-serve basis. In accordance with federal regulations, preference is given to applications which are submitted prior to the deadlines indicated. If priority deadlines are missed, funds may not be available in time

Federal Aid Preference Priority Deadline Dates
Fall June 1
Spring October 1
Summer February 11

In order to receive maximum consideration for financial aid, a student’s file must be complete by the above dates. A file is complete when all necessary documents have been provided to the Financial Aid Office. This usually means that a student has completed the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and listed Midland College on that application.

If selected for verification you are required to provide additional documentation that may include, but not limited to:

  • Student and/or parent tax return transcript
  • Verification worksheet
  • Economic sufficiency form

If a student is selected for verification, the student’s file is not complete until all information is determined to be accurate and results of any corrections have been received by the Financial Aid Office from the Department of Education.

It is the student’s responsibility to provide all documents requested by the Financial Aid Office. Complete files will be processed in date order. The student will be sent an award letter that lists all aid that the student is eligible to receive at Midland College for the award year.


Midland College participates in the Federal Direct Loan and Plus (Parent) Loan Programs.

Before applying for a loan, students must have a completed file in the Financial Aid Office. In addition:

  • Transfer students must submit all academic transcripts to the Financial Aid Office from all prior schools attended and request a transcript evaluation from the MC Registration Office;
  • Students must be enrolled in a minimum 6 semester hours; and
  • Complete both an entrance and exit counseling session.
  • You are encouraged to apply for the loan by census date (12th class day).
  • Yearly subsidized loan limits: Freshman $3,500, Sophomore $4,500, Junior and Senior $5,500.

Students interested in loans need to complete the MC loan application online then contact the Midland College Loan Coordinator at (432) 685-4693.

There are several organizations that offer alternative educational loans. These loans are not federally funded and the lending institution determines their criteria.


Eligibility for various scholarships may be based upon a combination of academic achievement, financial need, and the wishes of the donor. The primary purpose of the scholarship program at Midland College is to provide financial assistance to undergraduate students who, without aid, would be unable to attend college. In addition, Midland College seeks to:

  1. Attract and retain students with outstanding intellectual, creative, and leadership abilities;
  2. Develop a student body with socio-cultural, economic, geographic, and ideological diversity; and
  3. Develop a student body committed to quality education in the liberal arts tradition.

Consequently, Midland College offers academic and performance scholarships, as well as need-based scholarships, both endowed and undesignated, that recognize excellence. Scholarship awards may be based upon merit, interest, need or ability.

Normally, scholarships are awarded for one year. In most cases, one-half of any yearly scholarship is awarded for the fall semester and the remaining half for the spring semester. However, a student must meet all academic requirements at the end of each semester to remain eligible.

Most Midland college scholarships are considered “charge only”-a cash residual will not be given. Scholarships are gifts and do not have to be repaid. Unless specified in the scholarship agreement, no scholarship aid will be given for audited courses or for workshop participation.

Fasken Top 5 Percent

Applicants must be in the top 5 percent of their graduating class from high schools outside of Midland County. Applications are made through the high school or the Midland College Financial Aid Office after February 1.

The award covers tuition, fees, and books to a maximum of $1,000 per semester.

Midland’s Legacy Scholarship Program

Legacy covers tuition and fees up to $1050 for fall and spring semesters only.

First time applicants must:

  • complete a Legacy application during your junior or senior year of high school (application)
  • have a final high school GPA of 2.75 on a 4.0 scale
  • graduate from high school in MIdland County
  • complete 40 hours of community service at an approved volunteer agency (hours must be started after completion of junior year in high school)
  • attend Legacy orientation
  • submit a thank you letter

To maintain eligibility students must:

  • enroll in at least 6 credit hours
  • maintain a 2.0 current term GPA
  • complete an additional 40 hours of community service at an approved volunteer agency by the end of their freshman year
  • complete a statement of impact

All documentation must be submitted to the Legacy Advisor located in the Scharbauer Student Center. For more information, visit the Legacy web page.

Abell-Hanger GED® Completion Scholarship

Applicants must be Midland County Residents and must have successfully completed their GED® test within the last 12 months through the Midland College Testing Center. Applications are available at the Midland College Financial Aid Office. This scholarship covers tuition with a maximum of $1,050 for the fall and spring semesters only. Students must be enrolled in at least 6 semester hours. The scholarship is renewable for three additional semesters, provided that students remain in good standing and reapply for the scholarship for the sophomore year. This scholarship is given on a first come first serve basis.

Abell-Hanger Educational Continuance Scholarship

Students must be Midland Legacy, Abell-Hanger GED® Completion Scholarship or Students in Philanthropy scholarship recipients in good standing at Midland College, must have 3.0 GPA or higher, must provide 25 hours of community service each semester and must be residents of the state of Texas and citizens of the United States. The amount of scholarship is $6,250 per semester and is renewable for 2 years or 4 semesters if qualifications are met. Students must be enrolled in at least 12 credit hours per semester and demonstrate financial need. Deadline for application is April 1st. To qualify, students must be graduating sophomores and participate in the Midland College graduation ceremony.

Athletic Scholarships

Athletic scholarships are governed by conference rules and are awarded by coaches based upon athletic ability and academic criteria. Applications are available from the Midland College Athletic Department. The amount of scholarships will vary.

General Scholarships

Midland College general scholarships are funded by many sources. Scholarships are awarded on a first-come-first-served basis. A minimum grade point average of 2.0 is required; however, some scholarships have higher standards. Students must apply online.

Students in Philanthropy Scholarship

Students in Philanthropy (SIP) is a scholarship-based, student leadership program funded by the Abell-Hanger Foundation and the Helen Greathouse Charitable Trust. This scholarship pays $750 per semester towards tuition, fees and books. Please contact Julia Vickery at jvickery@midland.edu for application information or visit the website.

Ambassadors Scholarship

The Ambassadors scholarship is funded by the Midland College Foundation. This scholarship pays $500 each semester towards tuition, fees, books and/or college related expenses. Ambassadors assist with on-campus events and complete leadership training. Please contact Julia Vickery at jvickery@midland.edu for application information or visit the website.

Other State Aid Programs

Exemptions are a type of financial assistance allowing some Texas residents to attend a public college or university in Texas without paying tuition or, in some cases, tuition and fees. Students must prove their eligibility for all state exemptions. In addition, students will need to provide the proper documentation to the Financial Aid Office at the time of registration each semester, but no later than the census date of the semester for which the student wishes to use the exemption. More detailed information regarding state programs can be found on the College for Texans website.

Hazlewood Act

Veterans who were Texas residents when they joined the military and are now residents may be eligible for exemption of tuition and fees. The Hazlewood Exemption covers no more than 150 cumulative semester hours.

Veterans must:

  • Apply and be accepted to a Texas public college or university of his/her choice. Go to Apply Texas to apply;
  • Submit proof (DD-214) from the Department of Defense regarding military service and the nature of discharge;
  • Submit proof of eligibility or ineligibility for Montgomery GI Bill benefits (Chapter 31, 33/Post-9/11) by requesting an education benefits letter from the VA office in Muskogee, OK at (888) 442-4551 or the GI webpage;
  • Submit completed HE-V application from HE-V Application Packet for Veterans;
  • Submit Hazlewood transcript to verify hours used
  • You will receive approval from the financial aid office either by email, letter, or a credit to your school account. (Be sure to contact the financial aid office regarding your status on prior student loans made or guaranteed by the State of Texas.)

For more information on Hazlewood please visit the Hazlewood page on our website.

Applications for the Hazlewood Exemption can be downloaded from the College for Texans website.

Hazlewood Legacy Program

Under certain conditions, unused hours of exemption eligibility may be transferred to a dependent child. In addition, students that have a parent or spouse who died as a result of service-related injuries or illness, is missing in action, or became totally disabled for purposes of employability as a result of service-related injury or illness may qualify for the exemption. For more information please visit the Hazlewood page on our website.

Combat Exemption for Children of Military Service Members

This program provides an exemption from the payment of tuition (only) to a child, or stepchild, of a member of the Armed Forces who was deployed to Active duty in a combat zone outside the United States.

The dependent child or stepchild must:

  • Be a Texas Resident or entitled to pay resident tuition,
  • Have a parent who is a member of the U.S. Armed Forces, and
  • Is enrolled for a semester or other academic term during which the service member of the armed forces is deployed on active duty for the engaging in a combative military operation outside the United States.

To receive the exemption, students must be able to provide proof of meeting the program’s eligibility requirements, as outlined above. Child must provide proof (ex-military orders, pay records from service member’s unit to which he/she is assigned, etc.) of service member’s deployment from the Department of Defense for the relevant semester or academic term.

If additional documentation is needed, students may wish to contact The National Personnel Records Center at (314)801-0800.

Valedictory Scholarship

The highest ranking graduate from any accredited Texas high school is eligible for exemption from tuition for the first two long semesters following graduation. Certification from the Texas Education Agency is required.

Blind/Deaf Students Exemption

Legally blind or deaf students may be exempt from paying tuition and all fees. Application must be made through the Department of Assistive and Rehabilitative Services (DARS).

Foster Care Students Exemption

Students that have been in foster care or other residential care under the conservatorship of the Texas Department of Protective and Regulatory Services (DPRS) and meet one of the following criteria;

  • are in DPRS on or after the day preceding the student’s 18th birthday;
  • the day of the student’s 14th birthday, if the student was also eligible for adoption on or after that day; or
  • the day the student graduated from high school or received the equivalent of a high school degree, are eligible to receive a tuition and fee exemption. The student must enroll within 3 years of the earliest of the following dates:
  • the date the student was discharged from foster or other residential care
  • graduated from high school or received the equivalency degree, or
  • the student’s 21st birthday.

Senior Citizens Exemption

Senior citizens 65 or older may be exempt from paying course-related fees. To receive the exemption, students must present a valid picture ID and proof of birth date to the Midland College Financial Aid Office.

Fire Science Exemption

Students employed as fire fighters are exempt from the payment of tuition and laboratory fees for courses offered as part of a fire science curriculum. To apply, students must contact the Midland Fire Science Department and submit documentation to the Midland College Financial Aid Office.

Peace Officer Exemption

Guidelines are pending one week prior to the end of regular registration. Students must apply for exemption.

Texas National Guard Tuition Assistance Program

Certain members of the Texas Army or Air National Guard and Texas State Guard may be eligible to receive a tuition exemption. To apply, students should contact the Education Services Office at Camp Mabry.

Clinical Preceptors and Their Children Exemption

Eligible persons employed as clinical preceptors and their children may be eligible to receive a tuition exemption (up to $500). Application are available in the Midland College Financial Aid office.

Competitive Scholarships Waiver Policy

This is a program that allows a public institution to grant a waiver of non-resident tuition charges to individuals who receive scholarships totaling at least $1,000 awarded by Midland College Financial Aid Office.

  • Competitive waivers are only given to non-resident students
  • Changes the tuition cost from non-resident to resident
  • Scholarships must be opened to both residents and non-residents
  • A waiver may be obtained in the financial aid office
  • The waiver is only good for a period of 12 months OR the semester the scholarship is awarded


Federal Pell Grant

Eligibility is determined by completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The award amount (approximately $5,730 maximum) is determined by need and is set by the U.S. Department of Education each year. The length of this grant is 6 full time years.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)

Eligibility is determined by completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The award amount is determined by need with a minimum of $100 per year and a maximum of $4,000 per year.

Texas Public Education Grant (TPEG)

Eligibility is determined by completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or TAFSA (if applicable. The award amount is determined by need.

Toward Excellence, Access, and Success (TEXAS) Grant Program

The maximum award amount at Midland College is $2,640 per year. Only recurring recipients will be awarded.

Eligibility is determined by:

  • completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
  • must be a Texas resident
  • have financial need
  • enroll in at least 9 semester hours in an undergraduate degree or certification program
  • must maintain satisfactory academic progress (SAP)
  • must be registered with selective service or be exempt
  • have a family contribution of no more than $4,620
  • not have been convicted of a felony or a crime involving a controlled substance. Note: Must submit a signed drug letter statement to the financial aid office.
  • can not receive TEXAS Educational Opportunity Grant (TEOG)

TEXAS Educational Opportunity Grant (TEOG)

Eligibility is determined by:

  • completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
  • must be a Texas resident
  • have financial need, if applying for his/her first award have a family contribution of no more than $2,000
  • be enrolled at least half time in an undergraduate certificate program
  • not have been convicted of a felony or a crime involving a controlled substance
  • must be registered with selective service or be exempt
  • not currently receiving a TEXAS grant

Satisfactory Academic Progress for Financial Assistance

In order to maintain eligibility for federal, state and some forms of institutional financial aid, students must meet certain minimum standards. The student’s academic record at Midland College is used to measure satisfactory progress and all periods of enrollment at MC must be counted, including any semesters in which the student did not receive financial aid. There are three standards for satisfactory academic progress: successful completion of courses (quantitative), cumulative and semester Grade Point Average (qualitative) and time frame.

Successful completion of courses (quantitative) - Students must successfully complete at least 75% of the semester credit for which they have registered as of their enrollment on the Census date (the official count day at Midland College). This includes both developmental and college level course work. Successful completion is measured by grades of A, B, C, D, and P. Grades of F, W, AU, N, and I are counted toward the total hours attempted but not successfully completed each semester.

Grade point average (qualitative) - Students must maintain a semester GPA of at least 2.0. Grades of A, B, C, D, P and F contribute toward this GPA. Students who have not previously attended Midland College will be assumed to be making satisfactory progress at the time of first enrollment. Remedial course work is included in the yearly GPA calculation.

Time frame - Federal regulations specify that the maximum time frame for program completion may not exceed 150 percent of the published length of the program. If before completing a program, the student switches degree or certificate programs, Midland College will not count toward the 150% maximum time frame the credits attempted in the old major. However, any courses that apply to the new program must be counted. For transfer students, MC will count those transfer credits that apply toward the new or current program. Students who exceed the 150% maximum time frame limit will no longer be eligible for federal and state financial aid. Credits that have been repeated will be counted toward the 150% maximum time frame. The new grade will be used to calculate GPA.

In most cases, students that have already received a type of degree, have already exceeded the maximum time frame. These students will need to contact the Financial Aid Office regarding their eligibility.

Scholarship and state grant recipients must also satisfy any additional program requirements.

Financial Aid Warning

After grades are posted for each term, a student’s Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) status will be calculated. A student who has not completed at least 75 percent of their total attempted hours at census, or is below the minimum 2.0 GPA for semester credit hours attempted, will be placed on warning.

The student has one pay period to correct the deficiencies. Students on financial aid warning will continue to receive financial aid for one subsequent payment period.

Aid will continue if the student is making SAP during the warning payment period. Any student who does not have a 2.0 semester GPA or has not passed at least 75 percent of semester credits attempted after the warning period will no longer be eligible for financial aid at Midland College until SAP is met.

Financial Aid Suspension

Students who do not meet the qualitative and/or quantitative components of SAP listed above after a warning period will be placed on suspension. Students on financial aid suspension are not eligible to receive federal financial aid for any subsequent pay periods. Students who fail to maintain satisfactory academic progress may appeal the suspension of federal financial aid by filling out a Student Suspension Reiew Request if they think they have extenuating circumstances. Please review Midland College’s appeal process.

Students exceeding the maximum time frame allowed to obtain a degree or are mathematically unable to finish their program within the maximum time frame will be placed on immediate suspension.

Complete Withdrawals

Students that withdraw from all courses in which they are enrolled before 60 percent of the semester has passed, will immediately be placed on financial aid suspension. Students may also be responsible for paying back the unearned portion of the Title IV funds they have received.

Failing Grades and Incompletes

Students that receive all or a combination of failing grades (F), Incompletes (I), WIthdrawals (W), Audit (AU), No Grade Reported (N) at the end of the semester will immediately be placed on financial aid suspension.

Consequences of Not Making Progress

Student progress is evaluated at the end of each semester, except in the case of complete withdrawals, Fs, and Is. At the time of evaluation, if a student fails to maintain satisfactory academic progress, the student will be placed on financial aid suspension. Students who are on financial aid suspension will no longer be eligible to receive any form of federal/state financial aid at Midland College. Please review Midland College’s appeal process.

Procedure to Follow for Removal of Suspension

Financial aid suspension, for reasons other than time, may be lifted if students receive academic advising and complete the required number of hours and achieve a 2.0 GPA.

Students on suspension will have their appeal reviewed by the committee monthly. No action will be taken until a written request for review has been received. The request must include the following:

  1. the circumstances which caused the suspension,
  2. plans to correct the circumstances,
  3. future enrollment plans,
  4. a current academic transcript,
  5. other pertinent documentation.

Exceptions to this policy may be made at the discretion of the Director of Financial Aid. Criteria that will influence the Financial Aid Director’s decision may include but is not limited to the following:

  • class attendance, completion of assignments, and substantiated academic progress in required courses;
  • unusual circumstances, such as extended medical confinement or a death in the family;
  • utilization of campus supportive services; or
  • response to Financial Aid Office contacts.

Written procedures are available in the Financial Aid Office or on the Financial Aid page of our website.