Apr 02, 2023  
2020-2021 Midland College Catalog and Student Handbook 
2020-2021 Midland College Catalog and Student Handbook [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Student Life

Student Activities Emergency Text Notification
Student Organizations Health and Wellness
Honors Program Child Care
Intramural Sports Bookstore
Student/CHAP ID Cards Motor Vehicles on Campus
Housing Parking Information

Student Activities

At Midland College, students explore a variety of impactful co-curricular experiences that serve to enrich concepts and principles from the classroom. Programming opportunities feature an assortment of content ranging from concerts, lectures, educational programs, and intramural competition. Through engagement in these campus events and activities, students develop skill in social interaction while finding an appropriate balance between academics and socialization. 

Annual events such as New Student Orientation (NSO), Club Fair, Homecoming, and Cram Fest as well as special activities are generally available at no cost to current Midland College students. Students may stay updated about upcoming events and activities by viewing the Events Calendar on the Campus Life page found on the Midland College website.

For more information, please visit Campus Life.

Student Organizations

Student leadership is an important aspect of the Midland College experience. As members of registered clubs or organizations, Midland College students interact with individuals from diverse backgrounds and perspectives creating unique, life-changing experiences.

Midland College’s Office of Student Activities oversees several clubs and organizations on campus representing a variety of academic, social, religious, and novelty interests. Registered clubs and organizations maintain a minimum of 7 currently enrolled students, a full-time faculty or staff member(s) serving as advisor(s), a constitution and bylaws, and participation by the advisor(s) and officers in Risk Management training.   Flagship student organizations include:

  • Student Government Association
  • Ambassadors
  • Phi Theta Kappa

Please visit Clubs and Activities for more information.

Honors Program

The Honors Program provides an enhanced, creative, and supportive learning environment and special recognition for talented students. The curriculum includes interdisciplinary humanities courses, special honors sections, and independent honors contracts in regular classes. These opportunities provide a flexible and individualized program designed to develop the special abilities and interests of the participants. Graduation as a “Midland College Scholar” is possible with 12 semester hours of honors credit including one humanities course, HUMA 1301  or HUMA 1302 . Students in the program who have fewer credits receive “Honors” designation on their transcripts.

Please visit the Honors Program for more information

Intramural Sports

Intramural sports offer the opportunity for students to participate in their favorite sports during leisure time or during competitive tournaments.  Intramural activities include, flag football, basketball, sand volleyball, table tennis, billiards and other activities requested by students.  Midland College teams have the ability to compete with other college and university teams  through extramural tournaments and events.  Currently enrolled students, faculty, and staff may participate in intramural activities. 

The Intramural Sports contains more information.

Student/CHAP ID Cards

Students can obtain a CHAP identification (ID) card with one of the following:  valid driver’s license, state issued photo identification, or passport and a copy of the current semester paid receipt.  The CHAP ID card entitles students to free admission to athletic events, student government entertainment, intramural activities, fine arts programs, dances, movies, and videotape series.  The CHAP ID also provides identification in the Murray Fasken Learning Resource Center to enable the student to check out materials and use computer labs, and at the bookstore for scholarship identification.  ID cards may entitle the student to discounts at participating businesses.  CHAP ID cards can be obtained in the Scharbauer Student Center in office 129. Lost CHAP ID cards may be replaced for a $25 replacement fee.

The MC website contains more information about the Chap Card.


Midland College offers modern residence halls and family housing that provide an atmosphere for academic success and appropriate social activities for full-time students (enrolled in 12 or more semester credit hours). Students living in college housing are expected to behave responsibly, promote respect for the rights of others, follow all rules and regulations, support appropriate study opportunities, and enjoy a positive college experience. A full-time manager lives in each of the residence halls and a part-time manager lives in family housing, providing supervision and direction for students. Managers are responsible for the daily operation of housing, and they provide assistance to students in dealing with academic and personal issues.

For more information, please visit Living on Campus.

Emergency Text Notification

Midland College has partnered with Rave Mobile Safety to provide an emergency alert system capable of delivering messages to student Midland College and personal e-mail addresses and cell phones.  These messages will only be sent during emergency situations and/or when the school is closed or delayed due to weather-related conditions. The Marketing & Communications, (432) 685-4555, may be contacted for assistance logging into the system and/or managing accounts.

Health and Wellness

Midland College provides a campus environment supportive of the development and maintenance of a healthy mind, body and spirit.  All currently enrolled students have free access to the college Fitness Center which houses a full range of fitness equipment.  The college does not provide health care services on-site but has an arrangement with a local health care facility for students who live on campus.  The Student Life Office provides information regarding health care services and insurance plans available to students through outside organizations. 

More information about Midland College’s Health and Wellness program is available on the MC website.

Child Care

Midland College operates child care centers on its main campus (Helen L. Greathouse Children’s Center) and (Midland College Children’s Center @ Manor Park) at Manor Park, Inc. at 2208 North Loop 250, Midland, Texas.  The HLG center provides high quality child care for children aged four months through five years and child care provider training. The MP center provides high quality child care for children aged 2 ½ through 5 years and child care provider training. Midland College employees, Midland College full time students and Manor Park employees are given priority access to the children’s centers.    Individuals interested in enrolling children in childcare should contact the Director of HLG for scheduling and fee information at (432) 685-4574, or for the MP center contact (432) 697-4581.


The college bookstore is operated for the convenience of students and faculty. Textbooks and classroom supplies are available on-site or online at Midland College Bookstore.

New textbooks, in new condition, (i.e. no writing, highlighting, or any damage which would prevent resale as a new book) as well as books purchased used, may be returned for a full refund, with a receipt, through the 5th day of class of a regular semester, the first three class days of a summer session, or the first two class days of a flex-entry course. Textbooks purchased after the above dates may be returned for a full refund within three days of purchase.

Motor Vehicles on Campus

Regulations related to the operation of vehicles on campus are established pursuant to VATS, Education Code section 51.202, to facilitate the safe and orderly conduct of college business including parking. The college makes every effort to provide protection to vehicles parked on campus but cannot assume the responsibility for any loss. Operating a motor vehicle on the campus is a privilege and is conditional, in part, on complying with the following:

General Regulations

  • The person who registers a vehicle with the College obtains a non-transferable parking permit and is responsible for all parking violations.
  • Pedestrians are given the right of way at all times.
  • The maximum speed limit on campus streets is 20 miles per hour, unless otherwise posted. The parking lot speed limit is 10 miles per hour. The campus is defined as all lands owned by the college.

These regulations apply to all college faculty, staff, students and visitors.

Vehicle Registration and Parking on Campus

  • In order to park a vehicle on campus, students, staff, and faculty must obtain vehicle registration permits at the MC Police Department located in the Scharbauer Student Center. Operation of a vehicle on campus without a permit is a violation of parking regulations.
  • Students are required to register motor vehicles at the time of registration or when they begin driving on campus. There is no additional charge for the permit.
  • Faculty and staff must register their vehicles on or before the day they begin driving a vehicle on campus.
  • Any person giving false information regarding vehicle registration is subject to disciplinary action.
  • Parking permits must be affixed to the inside of the windshield on the lower right side.
  • State law requires that vehicles have Texas registration if the owners of the vehicles reside in Texas.

For additional information, please visit Campus Police.

Parking Information

  • The College issues staff and student permits.
  • Parking spaces for staff are designated by signs at the end of every row and by yellow striping on the pavement. Only employees and visitors are allowed to park in those areas. Special parking areas, such as handicapped and fire zones, are indicated by signs.
  • The Administration parking lot (between Scharbauer Student Center and the Pevehouse Administration Building) is reserved for administration personnel and visitors, except during registration.
  • Students working on campus will be assigned student permits and must park in student parking.
  • Persons with physical handicaps who have been issued the state-authorized handicapped parking permits or license plates must obtain a college permit but may park in any handicapped parking area so long as the handicapped permit is displayed as required by state law.
  • Parking permits will be issued to allow parking of motorcycles in designated two-wheel areas. Permits must be permanently attached to the fork on the front of the motorcycle.
  • Replacement permits or additional permits are $1 each and are available from the Midland College police Department located in the Scharbauer Student Center.
  • Parking violations must be paid at the Cashier’s Office; unpaid fines will result in transcript and registration holds.

Parking Fines and Penalties

Unauthorized parking in handicapped space


Blocking traffic way


No permit


Student parked in employee zone


Parking where prohibited





After a student receives five tickets in any semester, the next violation will include the installation of a “boot” on his/her vehicle to immobilize the vehicle. There will be a charge of $50, in addition to the parking fine, for removal of the “boot”. Every subsequent violation by that student will result in the “boot” being applied to his/her vehicle and an additional $50 charge.

For more information, please visit the Driving and Parking on Campus.