Distance learning at Midland College is planned learning that normally occurs in a different place from teaching and, as a result, requires special techniques of course design, special instructional techniques, special methods of communication by electronics and other technology, as well as special organizational and administrative arrangements.
Midland College provides a variety of offerings through its Distance Learning Program.
Web-based Online courses are developed by individual instructors and provide complete course content through use of course management software.
Students will need to meet specific hardware and software system requirements in order to use Blackboard. See the special Blackboard information panel to the right.
Enrollment in, and availability of, online classes at Midland College continues to grow. Faculty and curriculum planners continue to look for opportunities to offer more of these popular classes.
The Virtual College of Texas (VCT) allows students to access courses via the Internet that are not offered at Midland College. Students can view the schedule at www. vct.org and all enrollments must be made through Midland College. Call 432-685-5538 for more information.
SmarterMeasure is a diagnostic tool which helps students identify if they are at-risk of not doing well in an online and/or technology rich course. The SmarterMeasure Learning Readiness Indicator is a web-based tool that measures: on-screen reading rate and recall, technical competency, individual attributes, life factors, preferred learning styles, and typing speed and accuracy. The SmarterMeasure Learning Readiness Indicator can be accessed at www.midland.edu/blackboard/readi.php. Upon completion, a detailed score report is provided.
For additional information, please contact the Department of Distance Learning at (432) 685-5539.
Online classes at MC use:
Online Courses and Blackboard
You’ve registered for your Online Course, now what?
- Contact your instructor. Email your instructor to let her/him know you’ve enrolled. You can find your instructors’ email address from the online list or by checking the course schedule. You may or may not receive a return email from your instructor.
- All Midland College students have a Midland College email account. (VCT students do not.) If this is your first class, email from your classes will probably be directed there. Go to the MC Email web page to get your username and password and then follow the link to login to your email account. Course participants can email through Blackboard but will receive email at the default email address set in Blackboard. Student may need to change the default to a preferred email address.
- Go to the Midland College Bookstore’s website to find out what books are needed for your class.
- Within one business day after you register for your course a Blackboard account will be created for you. The exception is VCT students who will not have an account until the day before classes begin.
- The online courses in which you are enrolled should become available to you by 8:00 a.m. of the first class day.
- Do not wait for an email from your instructor. On the first day of the term, you should log in to your class in Blackboard.
- Determine your Blackboard user ID and password to login to Blackboard.
- Once you’ve logged in to Blackboard you should have access to the Blackboard Orientation course. Use this course to become familiar with Blackboard.
- If you can not login using the suggested login method try retrieving your password. Your password will most likely be sent to your Midland College email account. If you still can not login please complete the Blackboard Help Request.
- Blackboard Help Request
- Blackboard Change Lost Password
- Suggestions For Students Taking Assessments In Blackboard
- Online course system Requirements
- Online Instructors’ Email Addresses
- Midland College Course Schedules
- Student Email (This email account will be Midland College’s primary method for contacting you with important information.)
- Blackboard 7 User Manual (.pdf)
- Adobe Acrobat Reader
- Microsoft Powerpoint Viewer
- Midland College Bookstore
- Midland College Library Online Resources