May 19, 2024  
2016-2017 Midland College Catalog 
2016-2017 Midland College Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Scholarships & Financial Aid

Federal Aid Payments and Disbursements Policy Scholarships
Steps for Applying for Financial Aid Exemptions
Award Procedure Grants
Loans Federal College Work Study Program
  Satisfactory Academic Progress for Financial Assistance

Financial aid assists students and their families in paying for the costs associated with obtaining a college education.

See the Financial Aid website for additional information including scholarship lists and application forms.

In general, students are eligible for federal, state and institutional aid if they:

  • Are enrolled for at least six (6) semester credit hours as a regular student in an eligible program. (student who are enrolled for fewer hours may receive a Pell Grant if they are eligible);
  • Are a U.S. Citizen or eligible non-citizen. (Undocumented students who meet the criteria for Texas residency under HB 1403 qualify for limited financial aid.);
  • Have a high school diploma from an accredited high school, a General Education Development (GED) Certificate and homeschool transcripts, accompanied by a Verification of Home School Completion form;
  • Are not in default on any student loans or do not owe an overpayment to a federal aid program;
  • Make Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) in a declared course of study;
  • Have not been convicted of a felony or crime involving a controlled substance;
  • Are registered with Selective Service if male and at least 18 years old; and
  • Are not receiving federal financial aid from more than one school during the same semester

The U.S. Department of Education frequently changes regulations pertaining to financial aid and disbursement. Due to these changes, the Midland College Financial Aid Office reserves the right to make policy and procedure changes during and between award years.  Students who have questions concerning the above information or financial aid, should consult with a financial aid representative.

No person shall be excluded from participation in, denied the benefits of, or be subject to discrimination under, any program or activity sponsored or conducted by Midland College, on any basis prohibited by applicable law, including, but not limited to race, color, age, marital status, national origin, religion, gender, disability, or status as a qualified disabled veteran or veteran of the Vietnam era.

The financial aid office is required to monitor transfer students between the fall and spring semesters. Transfer students must submit transcripts from all institutions previously attended.  If the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) shows that a student is still enrolled at another institution, the financial aid office may require a letter from that college verifying that the student has withdrawn.  Once all the required documentation has been received, transfer students are placed on a transfer monitoring list for seven days before a financial aid award can be made.  Students should cancel any pending aid disbursements at their previous schools to ensure an accurate award at Midland College.

Transient students-students who are enrolled in another college or university who attend Midland College for one semester are not eligible for grants, loans, or work-study.

Federal Aid Payments and Disbursement Policy

By accepting financial aid at Midland College, students agree to receive their funds according to the Midland College financial aid disbursement policy and to keep all receipts for charges and residuals. The Financial Aid Office does not have and will not provide copies of receipts that may be needed by students for tax or other purposes.

Periodically the Higher Education Act is reauthorized and changes are made to the regulations governing Title IV Federal Financial Aid such as the Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG) and Federal Direct Loan Programs. The new rules governing the administration of these programs went into effect with the Fall 2011 semester.

Federal and state regulations require that students withdrawing completely before the 60% point in the semester repay any unearned portion of Title IV aid that they received. Students may owe a portion of the unearned aid received to the school if it was used to pay for tuition, fees, books, room and board, or to the Department of Education, if it was disbursed to the students. Students owing a repayment will not be able to receive any additional federal funding without a repayment agreement and timely payment.  Students will also be placed on automatic financial aid suspension and must go through the appeal process to determine if eligibility for federal aid will be reinstated.

To remain in compliance, Midland College has made adjustments to its disbursement policy for the 2016-2017 award year in the following manner:

  • Students are allowed to charge tuition, fees, books, room and board against any grant or scholarship received (as applicable) before any residual is paid.
  • The official enrollment date is the census date (12th class day) for each 16 week semester.
  • All financial aid awards are determined on the census date, and aid amounts are based on that enrollment status.
  • No book vouchers of any kind will be issued after certain dates.
  • Residual (remaining) balances from Title IV and state aid (Pell, SEOG, Direct Loans, TPEG) will be issued as established in the disbursement policy. Residual balances will be applied to the student’s Chap Card or deposited directly to the student’s designated bank account.
  • A disbursement policy/schedule which states all the book voucher and dates for the academic year will be mailed with the student’s award letter. Students with an extenuating circumstance can appeal the disbursement policy before the census date.

If paid for any prior semester, students will only receive funds for classes in which a grade of “C” or better was achieved.

Steps for Applying for Financial Aid

  1. Apply for admission (
  2. Register for an FSA ID (
  3. Complete FAFSA (
  4. Apply for Midland College Scholarships (
  5. Respond to document requests from Financial Aid
  6. Await award notification

Award Procedure

Federal grants and work-study positions are awarded on a first-come, first-serve basis. In accordance with federal regulations, preference is given to applications which are submitted prior to the deadlines indicated. If priority deadlines are missed, funds may not be available in time for the start of the semester.

Federal Aid Preference

Priority Deadline Dates


June 1


October 1


February 11

In order to receive maximum consideration for financial aid, a student’s file must be complete by the above dates. A file is complete when all necessary documents have been provided to the Financial Aid Office. This usually means that a student has completed the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and listed Midland College on that application.

If selected for verification students are required to provide additional documentation that may include, but not be limited to:

  • Student and/or parent tax return transcript
  • Verification worksheet
  • Other verification documents

If a student is selected for verification, the student’s file is not complete until all information is determined to be accurate and results of any corrections have been received by the Financial Aid Office from the Department of Education.

It is the student’s responsibility to provide all documents requested by the Financial Aid Office. Complete files will be processed in date order. The student will be sent an award letter that lists all aid that the student is eligible to receive at Midland College for the award year.


Midland College participates in the Federal Direct Loan (Subsidized/Unsubsidized) and PLUS (Parent) Loan Programs.

In order to receive a federal loan, students must have a completed file in the Financial Aid Office. In addition:

  • Students must apply for a federal loan online.
  • Transfer students must submit all academic transcripts to the Financial Aid Office from all prior schools attended and request a transcript evaluation from the MC Registration Office;
  • Students must be enrolled in a minimum of 6 semester hours and have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.00
  • Complete Entrance Counseling and sign a Master Promissory Note online at the website
  • Students must attend a group or individual session with the Loan Coordinator
  • Yearly subsidized loan limits: Freshman $3,500, Sophomore $4,500, Junior and Senior $5,500.

There are several organizations that offer alternative educational loans. These loans are not federally funded and the lending institution determines their criteria and are based on a student’s credit score.


Eligibility for various scholarships may be based upon a combination of academic achievement, financial need, and the wishes of the donor. The primary purpose of the scholarship program at Midland College is to provide financial assistance to undergraduate students who, without aid, would be unable to attend college. In addition, Midland College seeks to:

  • Attract and retain students with outstanding intellectual, creative, and leadership abilities;
  • Develop a student body with socio-cultural, economic, geographic, and ideological diversity; and
  • Develop a student body committed to quality education in the liberal arts tradition.

Consequently, Midland College offers academic and performance scholarships, as well as need-based scholarships, both endowed and undesignated, that recognize excellence. Scholarship awards may be based upon merit, interest, need or ability.

Normally, scholarships are awarded for one year. In most cases, one-half of any yearly scholarship is awarded for the fall semester and the remaining half for the spring semester. However, a student must meet all academic requirements at the end of each semester to remain eligible.

Most Midland college scholarships are considered “charge only”-a cash residual will not be given. Scholarships are gifts and do not have to be repaid. Unless specified in the scholarship agreement, no scholarship aid will be given for audited courses or for workshop participation.

Students can apply for Midland College scholarships at


Hazlewood Act
Veterans who were Texas residents or entered in the state of Texas when they joined the military and are now residents may be eligible for exemption of tuition and fees. The Hazlewood Exemption covers no more than 150 cumulative semester hours.

In order to receive the Hazlewood Exemption, veterans or eligible dependents must:

  • Apply and be accepted to a Texas public college or university of his/her choice. Go to the Apply Texas website to complete profile and application;
  • Go to or to complete the Hazlewood Application (contact the VA Coordinator for assistance at 432-685-4511 or
  • Be prepared to provide the following documentation to the VA Coordinator, located in the Veterans Affairs Office:
    • (DD-214) from the Department of Defense regarding military service and the nature of discharge
    • Proof of eligibility or ineligibility for Montgomery GI Bill benefits (Chapter 31, 33/Post-9/11) by requesting an education benefits letter from the VA office in Muskogee, OK at (888) 442-4551 or the GI webpage
    • Prior Hazlewood hours located in the “Hazlewood Online Database”
  • Register for Midland College credit classes to receive Hazlewood benefits;
  • Students receive approval from the VA Coordinator either by email or letter.
  • Students who have previously used Hazlewood benefits at Midland College should go to the Hazlewood Exemption form located on the Midland College website to complete the Hazlewood Application for Previous Exempt Recipients.

For more information on Hazlewood, please see   

Hazlewood Legacy Program
Under certain conditions, unused hours of exemption eligibility may be transferred to a dependent child. In addition, students that have a parent or spouse who died as a result of service-related injuries or illness, is missing in action, or became 100% disabled for purposes of employability as a result of service-related injury or illness may qualify for the exemption.  Please follow the steps above listed under the Hazlewood Exemption.

Valedictory Scholarship
The highest ranking graduate from any accredited Texas high school is eligible for exemption from tuition for the first two long semesters following graduation. Students should provide a copy of their final high school transcript and certification letter from the Texas Education Agency.

Blind/Deaf Students Exemption
Legally blind or deaf students may be exempt from paying tuition and all fees. Application must be made through the Department of Assistive and Rehabilitative Services (DARS) and student must provide a letter of verification from DARS.

Foster Care Students Exemption
Students who have been in foster care or other residential care under the conservatorship of the Texas Department of Protective and Regulatory Services (DPRS) must provide a letter of verification from DPRS and meet one of the following criteria:

  • are in DPRS on or after the day preceding the student’s 18th birthday;
  • the day of the student’s 14th birthday, if the student was also eligible for adoption on or after that day; or
  • the day the student graduated from high school or received the equivalent of a high school degree, are eligible to receive a tuition and fee exemption.

The student must enroll within 3 years of the earliest of the following dates:

  • the date the student was discharged from foster or other residential care;
  • the date the student graduated from high school or received the equivalency degree, or
  • the student’s 21st birthday.

Senior Citizens Exemption

55 or Older, Tuition Reduction Program

  • Student must meet institutional Satisfactory Academic Progress (2.0 GPA, complete 67% of classes attempted)
  • Student must be degree-seeking and have a degree plan on file
  • Transcripts must be on file at Midland College from all colleges previously attended

Eligibility Requirements 

  • TX Resident, nonresidents or foreign students
  • Enrolled in classes that are not already filled with students who are paying full price for the courses (If the class is too small to accommodate both regular students and senior citizens, regular students must be given priority)
  • Enrolled in credit classes (not Continuing Education classes)

65 or Older, Free Tuition for Auditing Classes

  • Student must meet institutional Satisfactory Academic Progress (2.0 GPA, complete 67% of classes attempted)
  • Student must be degree-seeking and have a degree plan on file
  • Transcripts must be on file at Midland College from all colleges previously attended
  • Student will only be awarded up to six hours of tuition exemption

Eligibility Requirements

  • TX Resident, nonresidents or foreign students
  • Enrolled in classes that are not already filled with students who are paying full price for the courses ( If the class is too small to accommodate both regular students and senior citizens, regular students must be given priority
  • Enrolled in credit classes (not continuing education courses)

65 or Older, Tuition Reduction Program for Non-Auditing Courses

  • Student will receive a general usage reduction
  • Student can be non-degree seeking

Eligibility Requirements

  • TX Resident, nonresidents or foreign students
  • Enrolled in classes that are not already filled with students who are paying full price for the courses (If the class is too small to accommodate both regular students and senior citizens, regular students must be given priority)

Fire Science Exemption
Students employed as fire fighters are exempt from the payment of tuition and laboratory fees for courses offered as part of a fire science curriculum. To apply, students must contact the Midland Fire Science Department and submit a signed form from the Department Chair of the Fire Tech & EMS program to the Midland College Financial Aid Office.

Peace Officer Exemption
Students must provide proof that they are employed as a peace officer, as well as verification of eligibility, from the Law Enforcement Program Coordinator to the Financial Aid Office.

Texas National Guard Tuition Assistance Program
Certain members of the Texas Army or Air National Guard and Texas State Guard may be eligible to receive a tuition exemption. To apply, students should contact the Education Services Office at Camp Mabry.

Clinical Preceptors and Their Children Exemption
Eligible persons employed as clinical preceptors and their children may be eligible to receive a tuition exemption (up to $500). Applications are available in the Midland College Financial Aid office.


Federal Pell Grant
Eligibility is determined by completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The award amount (approximately $5,815 maximum) is determined by need and is set by the U.S. Department of Education each year. The length of this grant is 6 full time years.

Texas Public Education Grant (TPEG)
Eligibility is determined by completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or TAFSA (if applicable) on a first-come, first-serve basis. The award amount is determined by need.

TEXAS Educational Opportunity Grant (TEOG)


In order to be eligible, a student:

  • must complete of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or TASFA
  • must be a Texas resident
  • must have financial need
  • must be enrolled at least half time (6 hours) in the first 30 hours of an Associate Degree or Certificate Program (excluding credits for dual credit or by examination)
  • must not have been convicted of a felony or a crime involving a controlled substance.  Note: Must submit a signed Drug Letter Statement to the Financial Aid Office.
  • must be registered with Selective Service or be exempt

Competitive Scholarship Waiver
According to Texas Education Code, Section 54.064, “A non-resident student (including a Citizen, Permanent Resident of the U.S., a person who is eligible to be a Permanent Resident of the U.S., and an eligible nonimmigrant) who receives a competitive scholarship of at least $1,000 (or a combination of competitive scholarships totaling at least $1,000) for the academic year or summer for which the student is enrolled may be allowed to pay resident tuition without regard to the length of time the student has resided in Texas. The student must compete with other students, including Texas residents; for the scholarship and the scholarship must be awarded by a scholarship committee officially recognized by the administration and be approved by The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board under criteria developed by the board. However, the total number of persons receiving a waiver of nonresident tuition in any given semester under this provision shall not exceed 5 percent of the students enrolled in that same semester in the prior year at that institution.”  The waiver can be found in the Midland College Financial Aid Office.

Federal College Work-Study Program

The college work-study program provides employment for students who have demonstrated financial need. The maximum amount a recipient can earn under this federal program is determined by the FAFSA. Students employed under this program are paid at least minimum wage and may work a maximum of 15 hours per week. A current list of college work-study jobs is available in the Job Placement Office in the Scharbauer Student Center.

Satisfactory Academic Progress for Financial Assistance

In order to maintain eligibility for federal, state and some forms of institutional financial aid, students must meet certain minimum standards. The student’s academic record at Midland College is used to measure satisfactory progress and all periods of enrollment at MC must be counted, including any semesters in which the student did not receive financial aid. There are three standards for satisfactory academic progress: successful completion of courses (quantitative), cumulative Grade Point Average (qualitative) and time frame.

Successful completion of courses (quantitative)
Students must successfully complete at least 67% of the semester credit for which they have registered as of their enrollment on the Census date (the official count day at Midland College). This includes both developmental and college level course work. Successful completion is measured by grades of A, B, C, D, and P. Grades of F, W, AU, N, and I are counted toward the total hours attempted but not successfully completed each semester.

Grade point average (qualitative)
Students must maintain a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0. Grades of A, B, C, D, P and F contribute toward this GPA. Students who have not previously attended Midland College will be assumed to be making satisfactory progress at the time of first enrollment. Remedial course work is included in the yearly GPA calculation.

Time frame
Federal regulations specify that the maximum time frame for program completion may not exceed 150 percent of the published length of the program. If before completing a program, the student switches degree or certificate programs, Midland College will not count toward the 150% maximum time frame the credits attempted in the old major. However, any courses that apply to the new program must be counted. For transfer students, course credit from another institution that is accepted and officially transcribed as transfer credit by MC will count toward the 150% maximum calculated hours as well as the completion rate.  Grades from other schools are not considered in MC’s financial aid SAP policy. Students who exceed the 150% maximum time frame limit will no longer be eligible for federal and state financial aid. Credits that have been repeated will be counted toward the 150% maximum time frame. The new grade will be used to calculate GPA.

In most cases, students that have already received a type of degree, have already exceeded the maximum time frame. These students will need to contact the Financial Aid Office regarding their eligibility.

Scholarship and state grant recipients must also satisfy any additional program requirements.

Financial Aid Warning
After grades are posted for each term, a student’s Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) status will be calculated. A student who has not completed at least 67 percent of their total attempted hours at census, or is below the minimum 2.0 GPA for cumulative credit hours attempted, will be placed on warning.

The student has one pay period to correct the deficiencies. Students on financial aid warning will continue to receive financial aid for one subsequent payment period.

Aid will continue if the student is making SAP during the warning payment period. Any student who does not have a 2.0 cumulative GPA or has not passed at least 67 percent of semester credits attempted after the warning period will no longer be eligible for financial aid at Midland College until SAP is met.

Financial Aid Suspension
Students who do not meet the qualitative and/or quantitative components of SAP listed above after a warning period will be placed on suspension. Students on financial aid suspension are not eligible to receive federal financial aid for any subsequent pay periods. Students who fail to maintain satisfactory academic progress may appeal the suspension of federal financial aid by filling out a Student Suspension Review Request if they think they have extenuating circumstances. Please review Midland College’s Financial Aid appeal process.

Students exceeding the maximum time frame allowed to obtain a degree or are mathematically unable to finish their program within the maximum time frame will be placed on immediate suspension.

Complete Withdrawals
Students that withdraw from all courses in which they are enrolled before 60 percent of the semester has passed, will immediately be placed on financial aid suspension. Students may also be responsible for paying back the unearned portion of the Title IV funds they have received.

Failing Grades and Incompletes
Students that receive all or a combination of failing grades (F), Incompletes (I), Withdrawals (W), Audit (AU), No Grade Reported (N) at the end of the semester will immediately be placed on financial aid suspension.

Consequences of Not Making Progress
Student progress is evaluated at the end of each semester, except in the case of complete withdrawals, Fs, and Is. At the time of evaluation, if a student fails to maintain satisfactory academic progress, the student will be placed on financial aid suspension. Students who are on financial aid suspension will no longer be eligible to receive any form of federal/state financial aid at Midland College. Please review Midland College’s appeal process.

Procedure to Follow for Removal of Suspension
Students placed on financial aid suspension for the pace component only, may be placed on probation if they sign an academic plan and complete the required number of hours while achieving a 2.0 GPA.

Students on suspension will have their appeal reviewed by the committee monthly. No action will be taken until a written request for review has been received. The request must include the following:

  1. the circumstances which caused the suspension,
  2. plans to correct the circumstances,
  3. future enrollment plans,
  4. a current academic transcript,
  5. other pertinent documentation.

Exceptions to this policy may be made at the discretion of the Director of Financial Aid. Criteria that will influence the Financial Aid Director’s decision may include but is not limited to the following:

  • class attendance, completion of assignments, and substantiated academic progress in required courses;
  • unusual circumstances, such as extended medical confinement or a death in the family;
  • utilization of campus supportive services; or
  • response to Financial Aid Office contacts.

Written procedures are available in the Financial Aid Office or on the Financial Aid section of the Midland College website.